A brief history of the Childwold Memorial Presbyterian Church
On September 13, 1893 the trustees of the Champlain Valley Presbytery purchased property on Bancroft Road from Mr. Addison Child, (founder of Childwold Village) for the purpose of erecting a church.
Building commenced immediately, and the church edifice was completed in 1900. It was operated under the Adirondack Parish, led by the Reverend Aaron W. Maddox of Tupper Lake, NY, and became known as the Community Church. In 1946 Rev. Maddox and the congregation celebrated “the burning of the mortgage.” The Church then joined the Presbytery of Northern NY, and was renamed the Childwold Memorial Presbyterian Church. The Church became incorporated in 1978 pursuant to Article 4 of the Religious Corporations Law. The church celebrated 100 years of Worship in 1993.
In 2001 The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2010 The church was received a grant from The New York Landmarks Conservancy, Sacred Sites Program and donations from church members and supporters to complete restoration of the “Front Porch.”
The church is celebrating 131 years of Worship in 2024.